In a funk: Depressed or upset.
In a rut: to do the same things all the time so that you become bored, or to be in a situation where it is impossible to make progress
We have all been there, most of us many times. No matter what we do everything feels the same. You cannot see the progress you crave for in your life and in most cases things are getting worse. Rather if it’s losing a loved one, money problems, or just not having what you want in general, being in a rut or a funk can turn bad quick.
10 signs you are in a rut or a funk:
1. Your favorite music doesn’t sound good anymore.
2. Your sleeping too much.
3. Your eating too much.
4. Your not active.
5. Your not social.
6. Your not traveling.
7. Your dwelling on the past.
8. Your not as tidy as normal.
9. You hate your job.
10. Your not seeking new things to do.
If you have any of these then stop for a moment and prepare to break out. These tips will get back on track and creating some momentous positive energy in this otherwise repetitive time.
Here is ten things you can do to get out of your rut! I suggest you do them all.
1. Win! That’s right find something you where good at and win at it. Even it’s beating a 11 year old at arm wrestling, a video game you dominate at, tennis, or horse shoes, beer pong, or patty cake. Find something you spent time learning in the past and kick ass at it.
2. Forget about past junk! You are a clean slate every morning and nothing can stop your mind, only you.
3. Do something ridiculously fun. Be it ordering the craziest desert you can find, wearing your Halloween or Star Wars character costume around town, or giving random people hugs, being in a rut has a lot to do with your guilt keeping you from exploring new things, this will help slap any silly guilt out the window. Trust me (PS, you might want to do this out of town)
4. Mix it up. Too many people have a routine that can last months even years. We are creatures of habit but not creatures and sleep, watch tv, eat, and sleep some more. We need adventure, we need excitement, if you never have adrenaline then your body and mind will enter coma like state. So white water raft, take a flight anywhere the airport happens to be going next, sleep in a park, whatever you choose just shake things up.
5. Party. I don’t mean a wine and cheese, pot luck, or even a party your kids might go to. Find a friend or go solo and get out of town to a real club. Spend the $20 to get in wait for an hour if you have to, then just hang out, or even better join the festivities. These people as cheesy and dumb as they might seem are living in the moment and that’s something people in a funk usually lose perspective of.
6. Eat better. Extra weight is 90% bad food, 10% lack of exercise and 10% genetics. That means… what you eat is almost everything about what size your body is going to be. Boil it down to three small meals a day or even skip a meal. A wise person told me once “you can only get as big as what you put in your body!” And most important drink lots of water and stay away from carbs.
7. Get a better car or better clothes. People think a car or clothes is some status or macho thing. It’s not, a car and your clothes are part of your identity. Rather you like it or not, your car effects who you are. So a kick ass ride and kiss ass clothes might help you remember that you Kick Ass!
8. Cold turkey it. You had to beat millions of other little swimming sperms to be born. Your alive in the most transitionally amazing era ever. There is hundreds of countries and millions of people just waiting to be part of your life. So realize it, embrace it, and create your own happiness.
9. Leave the country. Especially if you live in the US you really need to experience what real hardship is. Our homeless people live better then most of Africa and several other major countries. Don’t just spectate, spend 6 months living the life they have lived for centuries. I can assure you this will snap you out of any funk quicker then a lizard crossing a highway!
10. Help somebody. Helping somebody is the gem of life that people overlook way too often. The beauty of helping others is that it really benefits the helper more most of the time. It’s WIN WIN which I always love. The confidence and strength you get from helping others will be an amazing tool to help you get through anything in life.